All of our positions for 2013 have been filled. We will have more information about the program for 2014 on our website in January 2014.
The purpose of the ESN program is to provide an opportunity for student nurses finishing their second or third year of a nursing program to develop into the role of a professional nurse through the following:
- engaging in summer employment within NH patient care areas
- developing interdisciplinary teamwork and communication skills
- consolidating previously learned concepts/skills in the nursing program
- taking advantage of opportunities to connect theory with practice
Criteria for Employment
- registration in a recognized nursing education program
- successful completion of 2 or more years of a nursing education program
- able to provide proof of successful completion of all courses in current year of nursing school
- ability to gain Employed Student Registration with CRNBC once hired
- able to provide proof of Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support
- currently resides in British Columbia or Alberta or have a residence there
"Being an ESN is one of the most valuable experiences we get as students. It gives us a chance to not only learn and experience more than we would in our clinical rotations, but it provides us with the opportunity to take control of our learning by choosing areas of interest to further develop our knowledge and skills. I feel much more prepared to enter the workforce because of the extra experience I gained as an ESN."
"The ESN program is very helpful to prepare (you) for what nursing is, and (how to) start learning to problem solve on your own. The program also helps you to identify what your strengths and weaknesses are and the areas in need of improvement."