Northern Health's Professional Practice department continues to assist newly hired new graduate nurses with their transition to professional nurse through our New Graduate Nurse Transition Program. Funding is used to provide orientation, transition workshop attendance, education and supernumerary shifts to nurses who are in the first year of their career.
The goals of the New Graduate Nurse Transition program are:
- To create early relationships with nursing students and communicate career opportunities and growth within NH
- To provide resources to new grads around interviewing, portfolio development and choosing career paths
- To support managers to hire the right employee for the position/team
- To offer resources around new graduate nurse transition to both new graduates and staff at the sites. This includes workshops for new graduates, mentor development and website information
- To support new graduate nurses and staff nurses in opportunities for mutual learning
- To offer professional development funding for new graduates who need supernumerary shifts, extended orientation and training
- To provide program based on continuous quality improvement through yearly program evaluation and revisions as required
The program is open to RNs, RPNs and LPNs that are within one year post graduation and are newly hired into regular, temporary and casual positions in general and specialty areas. Applications are available through Professional Practice once you have been hired.