Get Started Now  
  Important Information  
  Immigration Applications  

Registration and Licensing

Registration with the appropriate licensing body in British Columbia is mandatory to practice as a health care professional.

If you plan to work in Canada, you should investigate the eligibility requirements and criteria for the licensing body or association which pertains to your chosen career prior to applying for a posting. For more information about what is required for registration, explore the links below.

Information and links to Licensing / Association Websites

Click a heading for more details and click again to close

College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia

To practice as a registered nurse in British Columbia, you must be registered with CRNBC.

British Columbia law requires that anyone using the title "nurse" must be a registrant of CRNBC, the College of Psychiatric Nurses of British Columbia, or the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of British Columbia. New applicants for CRNBC registration are required to write the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination (CRNE).

Applicants may be required to undergo a substantially equivalent competency (SEC) assessment.

Processing Applications
To be fair and equitable to all applicants, each application is assessed individually. As a result, the time required for registration to be established can vary significantly from applicant to applicant. CRNBC cannot fast track applications from individuals who have secured jobs in British Columbia.
We strongly encourage that you do not move to British Columbia or commit to an employment start date until your application for CRNBC registration has been assessed and you are aware of the requirements you must meet to become registered.

For more information visit their website.

College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of British Columbia

We encourage internationally educated psychiatric nurses to use the guide found on our website to determine if your psychiatric nursing education program could meet the criteria for psychiatric nursing education equivalency in Canada.

The guiding principle in qualification assessment decisions is as follows: internationally educated applicants must have completed a formal psychiatric/mental health nursing education program that leads to eligibility to register as a psychiatric nurse in the same jurisdiction where the program was completed. For example, if you completed your education in England, then your education should qualify you to register as a psychiatric nurse in England.

For more information about our criteria, visit our website.

College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia

International occupational therapists must meet the following criteria:

1. Establish your eligibility to write the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE) administered by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists. Once you have established your eligibility to write the NOTCE, you will need to provide the college with a "Statement of Candidacy" letter from CAOT, as well as verification that you are registered to write the exam at the next available sitting. Your application will not proceed until the college has this information.

2. Demonstrate evidence of oral and written fluency in English. Please email the College regarding the specific English Language Fluency requirements.

Tip! To save you time, make a list of the official documents required by both the CAOT and the COTBC applications. This will help you obtain duplicate copies of all the documentation (e.g. official transcripts, verification of hours of practice, etc.) required by each organization. Official documents will not be shared between the organizations, nor will either accept facsimiles.

For more information, visit our website.

Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators

The Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (The Alliance) is the national federation of provincial/territorial physiotherapy regulators committed to the development and improvement of regulatory standards of practice for physiotherapists.

The Alliance, on behalf of most physiotherapy regulators:
  • Administers the Physiotherapy Competency Examination to determine a candidate's readiness for safe, effective, and independent physiotherapy practice.
  • Establishes whether the education and qualifications of internationally educated applicants are substantially equivalent to those of Canadian educated physiotherapists.
For more information, visit the website.

Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers

The Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals is an aggregation of ultrasound disciplines committed to instilling pride, national recognition and identification within our chosen professions, while celebrating the collective potential of all the registrants.

The mission of the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals is to provide a current registry of diagnostic ultrasound professionals who meet national competency standards; and to promote high standards of professional practice through liaison with provincial regulatory bodies, educational institutions, and both national and international associations and agencies.

The CARDUP Clinical Skills Assessment (CCSA) was established to ensure that Canadian Registered Diagnostic Sonographers have the knowledge and clinical skills necessary for entry level practice. This process which has been in use since 2006, provides an assurance to employers and the public that sonographers registered with CARDUP are competent entering into their profession.

As of May 1st, 2011, applicants who are not recent graduates of a Canadian accredited ultrasound program will be required to apply as an external applicant. Upon meeting the criteria for an external applicant, the candidate must pass both the CARDUP written and clinical skills exams and will be responsible for the associated fees.

For more information, visit the website.

Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists

What internationally trained applicants to CASLPA need to know

We would be happy to consider you for membership but as you received your training outside Canada, it will first be necessary to have your qualifications assessed to see if they meet current Canadian standards of a Master's degree or equivalent.

Please be aware that CASLPA is the national professional association but membership does not give the applicant a license nor assure employment. CASLPA has joint membership with some of the Canadian provinces and as such, membership in CASLPA will also mean membership in some provincial professional associations. Membership in CASLPA may facilitate your membership in some of the provinces, but there may be specific additional requirements in some of the licensed/regulated provinces (currently Quebec, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario). If you plan to work in a province/territory with a regulatory body, you should contact them directly before proceeding with the CASLPA assessment.

For more information, visit the website.

Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists

The Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) is the certifying body for the entry-to-practice credential, and the national association for the disciplines of:
  • Magnetic Resonance
  • Nuclear Medicine
  • Radiation Therapy
  • Radiological Technology

Before granting access to the application process for writing the certification exam, IEMRT’s must apply for an assessment of their education credentials, language fluency and work experience.

The IEMRT must first determine in which province they wish to practice.

  • IEMRTs who wish to practice in the province of Ontario, Alberta or Québec must be assessed by the regulatory authority in that province.
  • IEMRTs who wish to practice in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador or the northern territories must apply to the CAMRT for assessment of their credentials.

Potential to Prosperity
Newcomers and those planning to move to Canada are encouraged to consult Potential to Prosperity, an online guide to advancing your career in medical radiation technology in Canada. Created by the Canada Foundation for Economic Education in collaboration with CAMRT, this guide includes informative videos and links to all the information you will need to start and succeed in your career in Canada.

For more information, visit the website.