Kitimat is located on BC’s north coast at the head of Douglas Channel, 90km from open water. The population is about 8,131 (2016 Census). It’s a planned community designed using garden city principles.
The Kitimat area offers many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors:
- Fishing (fresh water and ocean, including salmon)
- Golf course (18 Hole)
- Lakes, forests and mountains
- Skiing (downhill and cross-country)
- Soccer fields
- Skate, bike and board park
- Shooting range
Kitimat's amenities include:
- A hospital and health services
- A total of 4 public schools (two high, two elementary and a private school offering kindergarten to Grade 9)
- Public transit
- Supermarkets and a shopping mall
- Sports facilities, including an aquatic centre
- The Terrace-Kitimat airport, which offers regular daily flights to Vancouver, Prince George and Calgary
Kitimat Valley Institute provides skills training for Kitimat’s businesses, industries and institutions.
Northwestern British Columbia (including the Kitimat area), is currently experiencing increased economic development and industrial investment relating to pipelines, hydro transmission, and liquid natural gas.
Housing is affordable and property taxes are low compared to the rest of BC. Public transit serves the community and is available for those travelling to Terrace as well. Kitimat offers a welcoming, community-oriented atmosphere for professionals and their families; affordable real estate; and a mild four-season climate, for more info see Tourism Kitimat.
Kitimat General Hospital and Health Centre provides a variety of services:
- 20-bed acute-care unit, including 2 maternity beds
- Regional orthopedic centre
- Emergency department
- Diabetes and chronic disease management
- Outpatient chemotherapy clinic
- Public Health team
- Palliative Care nurse consultant
- Regular rotation of visiting specialists in internal medicine, urology, otorhinolaryngology (ENT), dermatology, neurology, ophthalmology, and radiology.
- Home support
- Home Nursing Care
- Long Term Care case management
The hospital site is also home to a 36-bed residential and complex care facility, Mountain View Lodge.