Masset is one of Canada’s top destinations for sport salmon and halibut fishing. Whale-watching, hiking, camping, and birdwatching at the Delkatla Wildlife Sanctuary are other popular activities. Major industries are logging, fishing and tourism.
Northern Haida Gwaii Hospital and Health Centre provides medical service to Old Massett, Masset, Port Clements and surrounding areas.
Haida Gwaii Hospital and Health Center has 4 acute beds, 1 palliative care bed, 4 long-term care beds and a four unit assisted living complex. Some services provided at the hospital:
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Home and Community Care and Home Support services
- Mental Health and Substance Use service
- Chronic Disease Management
- Speech and Language therapy
- Visiting specialists in Pediatrics, Orthopaedics, ENT, Nephrology, Endocrinology, Respirology, Rheumatology, Urology and Ophthalmology
- Video conferencing capabilities with specialists or physicians in other areas
Public Health provides many services to the community. Some of these services include:
- Prenatal services with pregnancy registry
- Kindergarten screening and school immunizations
- Harm reduction services
- Birth control, pap tests, STI testing
- TB testing