Queen Charlotte is located at the south end of the Graham Island, Haida Gwaii (formerly called the Queen Charlotte Islands). Queen Charlotte has many local historical sites, art and cultural activities and provides services to a population of approximately 3,000. Local industries include forestry, commercial fishing and tourism.
- Exploring miles of beach
- Hiking in Gwaii Haanas National Parks Reserve
- Visiting museums and historical sites such as homesteads, decomissioned whaling stations and ancient Haida villages where totem poles and artifacts lie undisturbed in their original sites.
- Shopping for local art
- Chartered fishing
- Exploring local craft fairs
- Taking part in the annual Hospital Day festivities
The Queen Charlotte Islands Hospital is a 16-bed facility which serves the local population and residents of surrounding villages and isolated forestry camps. It will be replaced in fall 2015 by a new facility, currently under construction – see box below. Queen Charlotte is also home to the Haida Gwaii Cancer Care Clinic.
- General practice and basic emergency coverage
- Minor surgery
- Stabilization of trauma patients and critically ill patients
- Alcohol and drug counselling
- Public health nursing services
- Social work services
- First Nations community health workers